Movex is providing this checklist to help you ensure a smooth move. It should be used as a guide to create a specific plan for your upcoming relocation.
15 to 30 DAYS BEFORE YOUR MOVE
- Get rid of anything you aren't bringing with you. 1-800-GOT-JUNK?
- Dispose of household chemicals like old paint and car oil.
- Make a list of everything you're bringing to your new home.
- Find out the replacement value of all belongings for your insurance purposes.
- Fill out a USPS change of address form. Notify friends, family and creditors of your new address.
- Fill out an IRS change of address form.
- Get copies of your medical and dental records, if necessary.
- Get copies of veterinary records, if necessary.
- Find out about auto licensing in your new state.
- Notify your children's schools and have their records transferred to the new schools.
- Make hotel and airline reservations (Delta Air Lines) if needed.
- If driving, get detailed map directions to your new home.
7 to 14 DAYS BEFORE YOUR MOVE
- Review your Movex contract to make sure the address, zip code, feet and date are correct. Call Movex if changes are needed. Make sure we have a phone number on file to reach you at your destination city.
- Make arrangements to disconnect gas, electric and other utilities.
- Make arrangements to connect utilities at your new home.
- Arrange to have major appliances prepared for the move.
2 to 7 DAYS BEFORE YOUR MOVE
- Dispose of all flammables. You cannot place any flammables on the trailer.
- Figure out what you're bringing with you in the car or plane.
- Obtain traveler's checks and/or cash for the trip.
- Pack a suitcase with the clothes and toiletries you'll need the first day in your new home.
- Pack a special box with other essentials you'll need for the first few days. (Make sure to mark this box "Do Not Move.")
1 DAY BEFORE YOUR TRUCK ARRIVES
- Make sure you have secured permission for our driver to park the truck in a designated location. If we are positioning the truck on a city street, check with the police or traffic enforcement officials for any required permits. If you're at an apartment complex, check with the management office so they know the truck will be there for your entire loading period.
- If you're taking a refrigerator make sure to empty, defrost and clean it. Give it at least 24 hours to air dry.
- Plan your breakfast.
- Pack your personal belongings - except your alarm clock.
THE DAY OUR TRUCK ARRIVES
Someone needs to be at the address where you will load the truck to receive it and to show the driver exactly where to park it. Our drivers usually arrive between 8 a.m. and 1 p.m. (unless prior arrangements have been made). However, you must be prepared to load the truck at any time on this date. You'll receive a call from the driver with a specific timeframe for loading within 24 hours of arrival.
WHILE YOUR SHIPMENT IS EN ROUTE TO YOUR NEW CITY
Contact your driver or Movex operations at least once to make sure everything is in order. We will inform you where your truck is and update the estimated arrival date for you. We can also advise you if your shipment was within the space limits of your contract. If you're over these amounts, payment is due to Movex before the truck arrives for unloading.
WHEN YOUR SHIPMENT ARRIVES AT THE DESTINATION CITY
Your driver will contact you to schedule delivery. The truck usually arrives between 8 a.m. and 1 p.m. (unless prior arrangements have been made). However, you must be prepared to take delivery of the shipment at any time during the delivery window.